Can you feel the heat? The temperature is rising which can only mean one thing... Summer's coming!
Make sure you are ready for vacation season with these must-have items that need to be in every travelista's suitcase!
1. The Basic Tee: Everyone NEEDS a basic white t-shirt, it's a classic, it's a staple and it's super versatile too. I always pack a white slogan tee in my luggage no matter where I am jetting off to or what time of year. This summer pair your tee with denim... ANY denim... cut offs, skirts, Mom jeans, boyfriend fit jeans, paper bag waist shorts... The white slogan tee and denim combo is a match made in heaven. It can be worn tucked in with a statement belt, tied in a knot over a bikini or rock it oversized with a bum bag/fanny pack to be bang on trend! I am so in love with this "Lost In Paradise" t-shirt (you need to check out the reverse of this tee). It's definitely a vacay essential!
2. Layered Necklace: It's the trend that every It girl and fashion blogger on Insta is rocking right now. I love to layer up with different styles of chains making each pendant or charm stand out. This palm tree pendant from LA based jewellery brand Ettika, adds a chic tropical twist to any daytime outfit and will be sure to take your look up a notch.
3. Straw Hat: Practical and fashionable... Check! Perfect for those bad hair days and to protect your scalp from the hot sun. Straw hats come in all kinds of styles these days so you will be sure to find one that suits you no matter what look you are going for.
4. Sarong/Scarf: Every year new prints and patterns burst on to the scene making it easy to add a pop of colour to your look that's on trend. A lightweight sarong is easy to pack. Not only is it great as a cover up on the beach, it can also be worn as a scarf to give you that "airport chic" look when traveling. You can tie it to the belt loop on your jeans or wear as a belt. Or you could wear it as a head scarf, like I do, if you want to go for a more boho beachy feel.
5. Sunscreen: Protecting your skin is absolutely essential during the summer months! No one likes to look like a lobster or feel the burn. This water-resistant sunscreen spray by All Good Products is my go-to when I hit the beach. Not only does it give you 80 mins protection before need to reapply but it's biodegradable making it coral reef friendly.
6. Beach Bag: I hate lugging a load of stuff to the beach so whatever doesn't fit inside my tote bag doesn't come with me. Luckily this summer palm print beach bag fits everything in that I need... Towel. Check. Sunscreen. Check. Book. Check. Water Bottle. Check. And there's even a handy little inside compartment to stash your cash.
7. Water Bottle: It's important to stay hydrated all year round, but the summer heat can be brutal. To make sure I get my daily intake of h2o I always carry my woodgrain stainless steal water bottle from Tree Tribe. It's eco-friendly and they even plant 10 trees for every purchase made!
8. Sunglasses: Goodbye plastic. Hello sustainable wooden sunnies. And they float! The perfect pair sunglasses for beach boys and girls. I love this classic iconic frame style as it pretty much suits everyone. The zebra wood is my fave but they also come in bamboo, walnut, ebony and maple.
9. Denim Shorts: I've lost count at how many pairs of denim shorts I own. Acid wash, white, distressed, frayed... I've got enough to see me through the whole summer! I definitely live in my denim cut offs. I wear them with flip flops, pumps, sneakers, sandals, tank tops, t-shirts, bikini tops you name it. I don't think I could ever take a trip and not pack a pair (or two). This denim blue trashed pair are a total bargain from H&M and super comfy as well.
10. Tan Sandals: Comfort is key when you are on vacation. You are seeing the sights, strolling through the side streets of bustling market towns, walking for miles a day just taking in your surroundings as you explore unfamiliar territory in a new destination. The last thing you want is a blister or sore feet! Buttery soft leather sandals are always my go-to and I love the tan colour because it's neutral and complements most colour palettes. I can't find my exact pair but this version is a good knock off and a total steal at less than $10!
Disclaimer: cheap shoes may cause blisters... #justsayin
11. Dry shampoo: I honestly can't live without this product no matter what the season. I first started using dry shampoo back when I was about 14 years old (before it was even a "thing") and I swear by it. This summer is all about living life to the max... So spend less time washing your hair, embrace the salty air and let dry shampoo save the day. I spray my roots in between washes and also use to spritz through the lengths to add a little texture for those beachy waves hair days. This tropical scent one is my absolute fave, it comes in large, regular or a handy travel size too.
12. Sprunchie: Yep, you read that right, It's not a typo... Spiral hair ring + scrunchie = SPRUNCHIE! If you are anything like me you've always got a bobble on your wrist in case of emergency... And by emergency I mean, avoiding the trade wind blowing hair in your face (island probs). I am so glad I discovered invisibobble because now I can throw my hair up in a ponytail or messy bun without snagging or tangling anymore. When you are hanging out by the beach all summer or living on an island this simple hair accessory is a must-have.
13. Beach Towel: I always carry a beach towel with me. I guess when you live on an island an impromptu trip to the beach could happen at any given moment so it's always good to prepared. As you can imagine I have a towel in every colour of the rainbow in every pattern and design I have ever created, so I never need to wait for laundry day to grab a clean one!
My three personal favourites right now are the "Beach Bum" towel in teal as pictured above, the "Summer Palms" print and the "Aruba Beaches" because it lists all the beaches on my tiny paradise island. You can take $10 OFF any beach towel this weekend when you use the code VACAY at the checkout.
What essential items can't you live without this summer? And what's on your hot list?...
Dushi Designs is an online island inspired apparel store. Bringing you island vibes no matter where you are in the world.
ONLINE STORE: www.dushidesigns.com/shop